Cedar Rapids Community School District students must earn a minimum of 40 credit hours in grades 9 – 12 to qualify for a diploma. At Metro, students can earn up to 1 credit hour for each quarter-long course, that meets for one 80-minute class period daily. Metro has a variable credit system. The amount of credit earned in a course is determined by attendance and demonstration of learning.
Credit hours required for graduation need to include these minimum subject area requirements:
- English language arts: 8 credit hours
- Mathematics: 6 credit hours
- Science: 6 credit hours (Earth Science 1 & 2, Biology 1 & 2, Physical Science Chemistry & Physical Science Physics)
- Social studies: 6 credit hours (World History 1 & 2, US History 1 & 2, Economics, & Government)
- Physical education/health/wellness: 4 credit hours
- Elective courses: 10 credit hours