Cedar Rapids Community School District students must earn a minimum of 40 credit hours in grades 9 – 12 to qualify for a diploma. One credit hour is earned for each semester course meeting for one class period daily. Two credit hours is the equivalent of a year-long course.
Credit hours required for graduation need to include these minimum subject area requirements:
- English language arts: 8 credit hours
- Mathematics: 6 credit hours
- Science: 6 credit hours
- Social studies: 6 credit hours
- Physical education/health/wellness: 4 credit hours
- Elective courses: 10 credit hours